Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Camping and mountain biking off the Central California coast

I needed to get away from it all. And by 'all' I mean my current unemployed status and the boredom that has snuck into my daily life. Living in the L.A. area, I am certainly at no shortage for concerts, clubs, eclectic eateries, and snazzy hotels but, I wanted something outside the city limits. I wanted to feel worlds away without putting in the 7 hour flight time. So, I gathered my camping gear, purchased a rad new tent from REI (the Hoodoo 2, on sale!) and ventured North. Two and a half hours up Pacific Coast Highway landed us at the sweet little spot of Montaña de Oro. Coastal camping at its best and the perfect L.A. getaway. We spent the 80° days mountain biking and hiking the coastal trails, including Point Buchon Trail, an easy trail that winds along the bluffs over the ocean for 3 miles.
Along with being easily accessible by car, Montaña de Oro, is less than 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store (a perfect spot to grab twist top bottles of red wine to pass around the campfire) and Starbuck's (Okay, so maybe I didn't want to get away from it ALL). Also not to be missed is Sunshine Health Foods and Shine Cafe in Morro Bay where we ventured for our lunch each day. Sit outside and enjoy the out of this world tempeh tacos. Not exactly 'roughin it' but......close enough!



Point Buchon Trail

Point Buchon Trail

Overlooking Point Buchon Trail

Point Buchon Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment